When I check for updates from within Skype 5.6 there are none – a message states that I already have the latest version of Skype when I obviously don’t – because Skype 5.8 was released on 2nd February…
Why Are Skype Not Offering The New Version To Everyone? According to Skype Support it is to ‘compare user behavior’. Presumably they want to see how people react to each version but this is really annoying as it means you may miss out on important new features, fixes and updates for a number of weeks.
New Features And Improvements In Skype 5.8
- Full HD video-calling – works with the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920. Requires at least a 2 Mbps upload/download speed.
- Support for Facebook audio and video-calling (beta) – make video calls with all of your friends on Facebook, even if they aren’t Skype users.
- Group screen sharing – allows users to share their entire screen or a single application window with other participants on a conference call while continuing to stream video.
- Hide offline Facebook contacts.
- Push to Talk – allows users to set a hotkey to toggle microphone muting on a Skype call.
- Skype updater service.
- Bing Bar integration.
In addition, there are a number of fixes in Skype 5.8
How To Get The Latest Version – If you have an earlier version and check for updates from within Skype you may not receive any – it may tell you (wrongly) that Skype is up to date. You will need to update manually:
- To get the latest version of Skype 5.8 (currently 184.108.40.206) – download the full offline installer version from Skype here.
- Close Skype completely (i.e. quit it, not just minimize) and then install this new version – it will upgrade your existing Skype to the new 5.8
Skype 2.7 For Android Released – Yesterday also saw the release of a new version of Skype for Android. In addition to several fixes, the new features and improvements in Skype 2.7 are:
- Calling interface updated
- Improved quality
- Enabled video calling for Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Upgrade to the latest version of Skype for Android from the Google Play store.