Best Antivirus Product Of 2011 Award
Personally I’m not too surprised as Kaspersky was at the top of my last review of paid antivirus programs – Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is currently my recommended antivirus solution for customers in my computer repair business.
AV-Comparatives tested up to 20 antivirus programs nine times in total during 2011 with a variety of tests including retrospective, on-demand and performance tests. Products were rated as:
STD (Standard) – indicates that improvement is needed
ADV (Advanced) – indicates that some areas may need further improvement but are already very competent
ADV+ (Advanced+) – the top rating indicating the highest level of competence
No Rating – did not even meet the STD standard
The full results are available for download in the December Summary Report PDF but a summary of the most well known antivirus products follows:
- Kaspersky Antivirus – 9 ADV+ The overall winner and Product Of The Year for 2011 – the only product to achieve ADV+ every time it was tested
- Avira AntiVir Personal – 6 ADV+, 3 ADV
- Norton Antivirus – 4 ADV+ and 3 ADV out of 7 tests
- Avast Free – 4 ADV+, 2 ADV and 2 STD out of 8 tests
- AVG Free – 2 ADV+, 2 ADV and 3 STD out of 7 tests
- Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) – 1 ADV+ and 5 ADV out of 6 tests
- McAfee Antivirus Plus – 2 ADV+, 3 ADV, 1 STD and 1 No Rating out of 7 tests
Not all companies agreed to submit their antivirus product for evaluation in every test. This suggests to me that some (e.g. McAfee, cough) were running scared of certain tests as they suspected their product would not perform well – so congratulations to Kaspersky and Avira for agreeing to all 9 tests. If you have confidence in your product it makes sense to put it through its paces and show the world just how good it is…
Kaspersky deservedly walk off with the Product Of The Year award whilst McAfee (one of the most well known paid antivirus providers) disappoints. Norton and the ‘big three’ free AV products turned in a decent performance whilst MSE would benefit from inclusion in more tests.
If you have multiple devices to protect (not just computers/laptops), Kaspersky’s ONE Universal Security Package offers a very well priced single antivirus solution for a mix of up to 5 computers, phones and tablets.