Free University Courses From iTunes U
Apple’s iTunes U app provides free access to complete courses from leading universities and other schools. Collections from education and cultural institutions in 26 countries are available – including Stanford, Yale, MIT, Oxford and the New York Public Library etc.
[The selection of courses, collections, and availability of content linked from within a course may vary by country]
Obviously the main target audience are those in school or college but mature (or immature!) students of the University of Life studying in their spare time may also benefit from the courses as they cover a wide range of subjects.
iTunes U App
Average ratings – 4 star ratings, Cost – free, Designed for – iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch.
Requirements – iOS 5.0 (or higher), Released – Jan 19th 2012, Size – 12.1MB
- Take free courses created and taught by instructors from leading universities and other schools
- See all assignments and updates from the instructor in one place, and check off assignments as you complete them
- Take notes and highlight text in iBooks and see them consolidated for easy reviewing in the iTunes U app
- Access course materials, including audio, video, books, documents & presentations, apps, and new iBooks textbooks for iPad
- Choose from more than 500,000 free lectures, videos, books, and other resources on thousands of subjects from Algebra to Zoology
From the iTunes store here.
Although you can’t get a formal degree (even if you complete all the assignments and would have passed the exams), being able to follow the courses is at least a free education – we can’t expect the likes of Yale and co to give up their fees anytime soon.