SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) version 5.6 has been released – the website states that it is their ‘most significant update ever’. SAS is one of the best free malware removal tools.
It also has a much overlooked set of 27 ‘one click’ fixes – an easy way to re-enable or repair critical Windows components that are most commonly damaged by virus attack.
SuperAntiSpyware 5.6 Key Features
- Completely re-architected definition database system
- Dramatically improved memory usage – up to 90% less compared with the previous version. In my own testing, SAS used 1MB of RAM when resident in system tray and c 40MB during scans. This compares favorably to its long time rival Malwarebytes which, in my tests, used c 90MB – with the user interface open or during scans.
- Greatly enhanced product load times and faster scanning, faster malware detection
- Resolution of long-standing issues affecting certain systems and several critical bug fixes
- Heuristic/Smart definition updates and improvements and enhancements to the Worldwide Threat Map infrastructure
- Optimizations to in-product bug reporting system
Note that the free versions do not include real-time blocking of threats – they are for retrospective checking and malware removal.
The Professional version (currently on offer at $19.99) adds real-time blocking, scan scheduling and automatic updates etc – see the full comparison chart.